Tuesday, March 22, 2011

WHAT HAVE I BEEN UP TO....


Well this morning I woke at 3:30 am wondering what kind of snow fall was awaiting my shovel...as yesterday's forecast was for 5 cm with more during the day!


This what Mother Nature had for me....

All the hearts [that I could find] had been collected from the outside and with the melt, there were none to been seen!

This is a light plastic item and with the wind we had last night it's amazing that it stayed at the front door!

This was also the only bit of snow that had to be swept away...
Of course, PoD had to go and ruin my happy thoughts with her comment of my Valentine's Day suitor leaving me a little reminder...:(


I rather think that it was nature telling me that this was okay for the heart....?



Anyways....


Been busy designing, inventing and putting together cardboard diamonds as props for this year's Grad....which is about "Diamonds in the Rough".

Diamonds were never a favorite stone of mine...too cold looking, plus out of my pocket range. What fancinated me was how they went from such a raw ugly stone to something so beautiful by cutting and polishing them.

Trying to make these cardboard props look like diamonds, took me back to when I was 20 yrs old [in Edmonton/AB] and my [first-ex] husband encouraged me to take up gem stone cutting. He bought me this amateur lapidary machine that looked something like this....

This is what my first attempt looked like...


The one next to the cut one was going to be my next venture only we ended up leaving Edmonton for BC and then my enthusiasm dwindled...plus it was too fricken hard!

I have nothing but respect for those who do this for a living! With all of those facets to cut with precision is amazing and worth the pretty penny they cost!


As for my puny attempt...the cardboard ones were just perfect for my idea of what a diamond looks like...granted these ones are very simple.

The grad committee wanted to have these diamonds on very slender poles with tulle draped between them. I opted to make the diamonds see through and they will house a flashing LED light or one-color LED light.


The rest shown on the table are proto types and they are to remind me that you can't make them out of card stock.

During the photo shoot Thumber wasn't too crazy with the flash disturbing her sleep...

Not only did they want pole diamonds but floor ones to cover the stage and photo OP area. Thing was...what size? Thus the variation of sizes.

I brilliant idea of mine was to make a photo OP Diamond Stool for the grads to pose with and even sit on. I just so happened to have a stool with no seat laying around that suited just fine...


16 hours later and arms that are going to fall off...sees my dream idea to completion



The stool is not completely covered in vinyl chrome...need to order more if necessary. Odds are no one will photograph the backside anyways...


Only thing left to do is prepare them master copies to make more cardboard diamonds...

That will be their job to make the rest.

Up next will be the archway...?


Heath Wise:

Thinking has been hard due to my sinus infection. Not much to do for it but put up with it! It's a good thing I can't type nasally because answering the phone to customers has been even harder to make them understand me...

My brother-in-law gave me a great "old time" remedy for sinus headaches...rub "Vic" mentholated ointment on your forehead...it works [for about 4 hrs] and then he said for full body aches with a cold...rub the stuff on the bottoms of your feet. Will give that a try next!

Other than that...I am still happy to be above ground...:)

2 comments:

Roan said...

An impressive first try at stone cutting if you ask me. The cardboard diamonds are amazing. Bet they will be a hit at the dance.

Queen of Halloween said...

Thanks BJ...I like to think of it as quitting while I was ahead with the stone cutting...;}
Hope the cardboard ones last, because I intend them to go on my float for the parade....keep fingers crossed.