Wednesday, April 22, 2009

NEVER BROKEN A BONE!

Until now....?


Word is not quite in yet as yesterday's x-rays have yet to be examined by the Doc.



Yesterday morning [7:30], I decided to MASH the 4th toe [the little "piggie" that had "none"] into a corner base board in the kitchen. LOTS of foul language came forth from my lips as I did the "heel hop of agony"!


I've stubbed my toes before but not like that...it was excruciating!



Last week the "Oozing Sore" on my right foot had re-appeared and I've been soaking and applying the antibiotic as before. It's been causing the same amount of discomfort when wearing shoes/slippers so I've taken to going around the house without them [I actually HATE slippers but with my feet problems I need to] on. I compensated by wearing slipper socks [you know the ones with rubber stuff to make them non-skid...stuff that one can still feel with their sensitive diabetic feet] mainly for the warmth rather than the protection!



Happily I didn't actually get to see just what happened to the toe...only the feeling...:(


And NO I didn't look at it right after it happened. It would have hurt more removing the sock!


After all how many times does one stub a toe and look at it?




It wasn't until later, when I tried to put a shoe on that the agony really hit [it had been at a noticeable throb]. PoD & I had a look.


The toe was blue/black from the base to the first knuckle, leaving the tip a normal color [it looks odd]!


Up until looking at it, the toe had felt "like it had been stubbed", seeing it that color, psychologically made me go into shock...:O


PoD felt that it needed x-raying, so off to the hospital we went [2:30]...then was sent to the Doc's office to wait some and then back to the hospital for what we went for in the first place....


WALKING on my sore foot! I'm glad PoD has a car....


What can one do if the toe is broken?


NOTHING!


Except if the toe is long [monkey toes] then they would tape them together to provide support for the broken one and not have it flopping around....ewwwww


Can you imagine the pain as they wrapped the tape around them....:Z



Happily my toes are short and stubby [small feet]...nothing flopping around here [well maybe some things...;( ].


As to the toe bring broken...?


Looks and feels like it SHOULD be!


If it is...it will be my FIRST BROKEN BONE!


Which I think is pretty good seeing as I'm 58 and have done many a dumb thing while growing up. The closest I've ever come is a hair-line fracture, while playing basketball [concusion...probably why I have zany/crazy ideas...] in 1967 and a cracked tail-bone, high-jumping, in '68. I was quite a Tom Boy! So it definetly wasn't from lack of trying!


Hopefully I haven't run out of my nine lives!


As to the pain in my toe....?


Don't forget about the "Oozing Sore"...?


Having diabetic feet helps to dull the pain but there is a dull ACHE that helps me to NOT SLEEP and the ACHE turns to a THROBING ACHE when I sit or stand...


Other than that, I now have to scrap any plans of going for walks & cleaning the crap [bags & such] from the yard/trees...:)


Will P.S. when I know the news....

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

oh this sounds really nasty, I do hope the pain has resided a wee bit.

Toes being stubbed (especially as badly as you did this one) are the most painful thing aren't they?

Only upside being you don't have the clear the crap, you have a golden excuse!

Hope you on on your full complement of toes very soon!

J x