Friday, October 26, 2007

THE BRITISH INVASION

I was asked by the Kinsmen of our town to decorate our community hall for the fund raiser being held Friday night. Seeing as I was being paid for this, I asked [roped in] PoD if she would help me...reluctantly she did.

This was a fund raiser for our new hospital and they had booked a band called "The British Invasion"...4 guys who played songs from the 50's and 60's impersonating the bands "The Beatles", "Dave Clark 5", "The Kinks", "Gerry & The Pacemakers" and they also had a few others who did impersonations of "Elton John" and "Elvis".

The flurry of drawings started last Friday and we worked right up until Thursday at 6:00 pm before we were finally ready to hang them up. Why does writing this sound shorter that it took to do them?

Thursday night was our last play practise until our performance on Sunday, so I figured that the Kinsmen could put the decorations up after our practice...nope...they figured that they could have them hung an hour before the thing started. Don't think so!

So, Pod and I took 2 hours that morning and got them all hung up! Pics are of our efforts!




Sorry for some of the blurry shots! We were both so tired that it felt like our arms were going to fall off but still had the rest of the day to finish working...which we had put on hold just so we could accomplish this for them!

Neither PoD nor I attended the function that night, as she couldn't find a babysitter or the inclination to search harder for one and me...I was just too dam tired! This dance was my type of music but I having no energy it would have been a waste!
The next day I was approached by the chairman of the hospital board fund raiser and he congratulated us on a job well done with the decor. He reported that all went well and over 200 people showed up to party! It's seems that even the band wanted to purchase a couple of the flags that I had made for their own use...for me, that's the best compliment ever!
I guess it was worth the extra strain after all! My only regret is not being there to see it happen!
Was it worth what I was being paid for, work wise....NO....advertising.....YES!
Hopefully I will be paid quickly....?

2 comments:

Headgirl said...

Hi there!

I think it looks great!
And, I should know, since I ve been to the venue many, many times!
Per Wilma, hear the play went well.
Gather, per Nellie who phoned me yesterday [!] that Festical w/e is next week... but where???
And, whats the paly called???
How can I blog to wish you all well with no info..

Love
Blue

PS
Crazy me is hosting a 'virtual' Halloween Graveyard bash! Do come..

Headgirl said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Please excuse spelling on last post! Never look before publishing.