Friday, August 31, 2007

MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE STAYED AWAY?

Last night was our meeting to prepare for our entry in to the "One Act Festival" being held in Kamsack [?] this year! Usually if I am there, I volunteer to be Stage Manager and/or build the set [if needed].

This time I let myself be talked into an acting part...that includes lines!

Two years ago I agreed to take a part that had no lines [was stage manager also] and had major heart problems! Granted I was having heart problems at that time anyways!

Those who know me, know this is something I absolutely hate doing and have heard me say many times that I would never do it! Yet my mouth moved and uttered those hated words..."okay I'll give it a try"!

If the stress of me getting up in front of that many people, don't pop the stents in my heart, nothing will!

From an early age I used to stutter and still have a tendency for it happen. Especially if I'm stressed! Even amongst friends in large crowds I hesitate to speak because of this fear! I force myself to participate in order to stop this affliction!

My stuttering stems from my mind being over active, being unable to express my thoughts coherently and getting them out fast enough! It didn't help coming from a huge family and being on the younger end where siblings made a person believe that what you had to say was not important enough to be heard! I always hated the expression "children should be seen and not heard"!

Anyways...
This play was written by Wilma and J-Rod again and as usual, is very funny!

The part that they figured would be "perfect" for me is the "overbearing mom" part!

Should I take that as a hint or not...hmmm?

After I read it I have to admit that it is something I could easily pull off...which is a sad thought!

So my mind has been busy today wonder how this "overbearing mom" will look?

I believe in the costume has to speak volumes for the part...if I crap out on the lines then hopefully my costume will get a laugh or two instead!


Character description:
Her son in the play, had been married before, is in the middle of being divorced and was caught cheating on his wife with the town tramp! My role is about his mother who thinks her son can do no wrong and her daughter-in-law has always been the bad influence?

So how do you think I should look as a mother who has a son that obviously hasn't been taught any morals?

1. Do I go as a worn out busy-body, crabby lady with bland baggy clothing...curlers, etc?

2. Maybe as a wacko mom that over dresses in gaudy clothes...hippie type?

3. Or maybe an older woman who dresses too young for her age in search for a younger man?
4. Or go as my self?
Still tossing around the idea of backing out...

2 comments:

Wilma said...

I think you're going to be fab!

What about a snooty, thinks-her-shit-don't-stink busy-body hoity-toit who looks down her nose at everyone she thinks is "beneath" her?

That is so unlike you, that it would really show off your acting prowess!

Queen of Halloween said...

That is so definitely not like me but is the misconception that people have about me...to them I wouldn't be acting any different? Often my aloofness makes me come off as a snob? Also how does this person dress...can't see any humor in that outfit and I definitely don't own anything that states I am dressed above anyone else! That's why I thought over-the-top would be something that no one would expect from me? I would be guaranteed a laugh where as I might let the silent response throw me? My choice would have been #3 with a hoity-toity attitude...making both contradict each other?
QoH