Sunday, August 05, 2007

BUILDING PROJECT... MY GIFT TO MY GRAND KIDS...

I love artwork that is called "Trump O Leil"....translation: "To fool the eye". I prefer large wall murals that make you think you could walk right into them.
This is what I had planned for my painting of the kids room, play area and stairwell.

The building progress took quite a long time and the kids had to live with sleeping in one room downstairs while it was being done. PoD was working nights at the local mart and I babysat [Trebor works out of town] the kids while she was out. We both worked during the day at my business so the evening work was taking it's toll on the both of us! While I babysat I spent most of the time painting upstairs...thankfully the kids didn't need constant attention. While I was painting the kids weren't able to see my work until I had progressed far enough for them to get the idea of what I was doing.

All of this sounds so easy to say but the building took about 8 months to complete [remember...we did this part-time because of our work schedule] and painting took about 16 months! The kids were able to move into their rooms after I had finished painting them but still had to be careful and not play upstairs until I was done.
I think it was well worth it!

The kids got their own rooms, platform beds with a "safe" stairway to access them, cubby space under their stairs for toys, a desk that had a built-in cubbies & shelves for nick-knacks and lots of closet space/dressers for their clothes.

They just love their rooms! All of their friends want to come over and play in them because the theme takes them back in time....

I started with JD's room first and used one style and changed the style when I did AJ's. Both have a huge tree and flowers in their room. The play area has a smaller tree with a "Koi Pond" and a place to hang their own artwork/school stuff. PoD and the kids both share the storage space with a place they can put their books in.

I call this project my "Castle in the Air"....The tour starts at the downstairs entrance way...

The next ones are of the stairwell and storage space to the right...

Maxi just had to get into the shot...he too missed being able to come upstairs to hang out. These shots are of the entrance way to the play area and the kids rooms....

The first bedroom is JD's...he is a "Harry Potter" fan and the add-in's are just stickers that he can move around in his room. He has since changed his obsession to "Ninja Turtles"....

These ones are of AJ's room...her's had to be more girly so I change the wall design and added more flowers. JD wanted flowers too so I added just a few around the tree...I didn't want him hating me when he got older or have his friends call him "girly"....
All in all I think we made a nice area for thee kids to spend time.
If they don't like the upstairs [which is not the case] it's still a great resale addition to the house, not to mention a great time spent with my daughter and a learning experience for all!
Do I want to do it again.....NO!
It took too much out of me and I did it just for my kids!

1 comment:

Headgirl said...

All I can say is WWWWWOW!!!!!!!!!