Thursday, June 09, 2011

WHATS UP WITH ME...

Things haven't been going so good with me lately...

I been having issues with my eyes!

For some time now I have been unable to distinguish the difference between dark colors...like wearing one navy sock and one black one...not fun for someone who makes her living by using colors!

For the longest time I have had issues with age changing my eyes and looking through bi focal lenses became quite a challenge with perception in my drawings.

Then I noticed that my vision perception had changed in how I looked at things. I could see the object, knew what the object was but it began to have no details to it. Hard to understand unless you have gone through it.

Of course being diabetic I wondered if it was just a case of the sugars being too high...in which some cases it was, but not all of the time!

The biggest difference was in my left eye and any time on the computer [which is A LOT] gave me massive headaches! Typing any stories or pamphlet designing with lots of wording had become near impossible, so I've had to rely on PoD [daughter] to do all of these chores. Of course I couldn't ask her to do my blog so that's why there has been no activity here.

All of this has been very scary for me!

My livelihood depends on my eyesight!

Like the fool that I am sometimes I chose the business over my eye sight and put off having my eyes checked out [my last eye exam was in 04] and denial of what was happening to them didn't help either! Also the though of having to fork out more money that was slated for getting me out of debt didn't help either!

I don't have any extra health plan that covers eyes or dental problems so of course they would have to go on the back burners, so to speak!

Stupid thoughts for a 60 year old who's body is slowly beginning to breakdown!

Denial is a pretty big word!

Anyways...

Fortunately I have wonderful kids that look after me when I do these stupid things! My daughter came to my rescue and forced me to see an eye doctor on Monday!

The news wasn't good and he felt that I needed to see an eye physician immediately!

Talk about scary!

I'll take on all the scary ghosts in the courthouse any day compared to having that news given to me!

So that meant going home and wait for the appointment to happen...which had a possibility of a week to two week wait!

Didn't help either having a family history of a brother with a macular degenerative disease that has made him go blind and that its hereditary!

Thankfully yesterday morning I got a call that there was an opening and could I be there at 3:00!

Again poor PoD had to rescue me and drive me there, as even driving has been near impossible for me...;(

I also have to mention that my ex has come to the rescue many times with the use of his vehicle, as PoD's car is out of town right now with her husband.

Stress has been a BIG word lately and those who have IBS like I do means that the old bowels have been working overtime too!

I also have to mention that none of these eye doctors live in our small town! The first one was a hour away and the other a hour & half so we have gotten to see a lot of highway with boring scenery. Granted, it was scenery that I might never get to see again loomed heavily on my mind as we drove there!

Waiting at doctors offices has never been a pleasant thing for anyone and I'm no exception with it! It did have a TV that was stuck on the "Game Shows" to entertain those who were interested or maybe it was to take your mind off of what might be your future?

It was having magazines to read about what one might have that was the scariest for me! Especially the one on Macular Degenerative Disease!

I had all of the symptoms!

Visiting an eye doctor means lots of stuff is put in your eyes and lots of pictures been taken leaving one nearly blind by all of the searching being done which leads to headaches...

But in the end there was an answer...

I have cataracts in both eyes! The left one being the worst!

The thing is...you can't see them because they aren't on the surface! I remember my dad's and his made his eyes look milky looking...I don't have that! Mind are deeper?

Anyways...they are correctable!

:)


This will mean two different surgeries that's needed to correct them, but will leave me with not having to wear glasses except for up close work!

Gotta love that one!

The other fact...its covered by my general health care and won't cost me anything!

The glasses that I will need are those generic ones bought in drug stores and they are cheap!

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?

The moral of this story for me is...


STOP BEING AN ASS ABOUT WHAT'S IMPORTANT...

My health is more important than my financial problems... without it I wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyways...duh!

First it was my heart and now my eyes...

They say that age is supposed to make you smarter?

I wonder how old I have to be before that happens?

:(


Now time to go worry about the surgeries in which I will be awake for...

I can see that needle coming for my eye right now to freeze it...

5 comments:

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Dear QoH, I am soooooo sorry I have been absent from commenting and blogging for so so long, it's just we have had a great deal of family issues down in England, which have taken up valuable time for me.

I was very sorry to read about your health issues too. The eyes are always a big worry to me and the problems they can bring especially with the diabetes history.

But I was really pleased to read you are covered by your health care. And it is cataracts, which are indeed most correctable! But even so my thoughts are with you.

The serious health issues with my inlaw family down south, have also made me realise what is important in life!

I will try to be a more loyal follower from now on, and I really wish you all the best for the forthcoming surgery!

Kind thoughts to you, Jeannie xx oh and Marvin xx

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

I also sometimes think, although we moan about the good old National Health Service in the UK, we are also so fortunate to have it. My experience with the NHS and my diabetes has been nothing but an excellent one, wonderful care and treatment,simply paid for out of our general taxes. My last appointment at the Eye Clinic, was a really good experience with kind and interested, and very skilful Drs and nurses.

I hope yours can be the same!

J x

Roan said...

I'm soooo happy for you! Anything to do with eyes scares me. My mother was diabetic, so I'm always worrying about being diagnosed, but so far, so good. She didn't care for her diabetes as she should have. I didn't live near her, so there wasn't anyone to keep her on track. I think she thought that as long as she took her insulin shots she could eat whatever she wanted. Anyway, diabetes eventually took here eyesight.

Let us know how the surgery goes.

Sorry I haven't been around much. It's hard to sit in this uncomfortable computer chair for any length of time. It causes my ankles to swell. They are healing nicely, though. I'm actually walking some and will continue to walk more each day. I'm hoping to return this wheelchair in another couple of weeks.

Take care of yourself, and again, let us know how your surgery goes.

Anonymous said...

Queen of Halloween, Do you know that Forex Is Highest Paying Keyword in Google Adsense? Learn how to use Forex here:

Queen of Halloween said...

Jeanie & Marvin...I so want to thank you for your warm wishes. Hope your family woes lighten as stress for others can be just as harmful as ingesting too much sugar for us too!
BJ...we are quite a pair, you with your feet and me with my eyes. Hope both our woes fade in our memories soon...:)
Been trying to keep up with everyone's blog and commenting is hard to do as the wording is soooooo small.
Thank you BOTH of you strangers for showing that you care enough to write to me and say so!