Thursday, March 11, 2010

PROUD OF MY TOWN!

This past Saturday I got to see a good thing...


It's been a pretty sad two and half months for this town as we mourned the loss of a young man's life to heart failure! A healthy 26 yr old, newly married with a 18 month little boy, just starting a new job which meant no life insurance....

Their wonderful friends got together and decided that they needed to help this young mother and child out, so a day was planned with events to raise money. They held a hockey day at the arena with three games to watch and the evening was to be a benefit supper/auction.


PoD, Trebor, JD and I attended the hockey day but didn't plan on attending the supper event as both her and I would do nothing but cry! Attending the game was hard enough! Helping them with their advertising needs and our attendance that day was our donation.

I had expected a good turn out but was amazed at the amount that did attend! It was reported that there was 400 that made it to the supper! I don't think the hall is supposed to hold that many...

The supper tickets got you into the game, so you can imagine how many made it to the games...

 This was half way...I've never seen it so full!

One thing I do have to add, is what a great job the town has done with the interior work! It used to be quite a dingy place, very plain, clean, but boring. Now it's all bright and shiny, with lots of memorabilia to look at!

I'm not a hockey fan, I support the team by buying their "rink burgers" during their games, but have never seen a game since BillyRoo stopped playing when school ended. So I got to see it in it's completion, so it was a shock...a good one!

The other thing I noticed was the huge safety net above the glass which I heartily approve of! No more worries of taking ones eyes off the puck! One takes their chances when watching our favorite sport without it...;{


It did muck up pictures taking...



At the door, they were handing out these stuffed tigers to all of the kids...

We got one for AJ, even though she didn't attend. She now has reached the age, where hanging out with your family isn't cool any more and [she didn't know the family] felt she would rather be home alone...;}

After lots of sitting it finally started...



It was very entertaining with a game between our Tigers and Western Canada Montreal Canadiens Fan Club. Minor hockey players were subbed in throughout the game when the "oldsters" needed a rest...;}
It wasn't just a game and had lots of funny moments with tiny hockey sticks up against a huge goalie one. Nets were put backwards....
Too many players on the ice?

Game ending hand shake...


[I did 90 percent of the sign work around the arena...just thought you needed to know that...;}]


The saddest part of the day...the little boy is given the game puck...



I don't know about most of you, but I find it VERY hard to offer up my condolences to the family, physically/verbally! There is no way I would be able to get any words out without coming off as a total blubbering idiot! You all have my admiration for those who can do it and say it!

I see them being brave, trying to hold back their tears while all around them offer their sympathies and the last thing I want them to do, is see me losing it! So I avoid them...;(

I'd rather talk to them when time has passed... I would rather my actions speak for me instead.

As luck would have it, I ran into them constantly while there...




THERE ARE NO WORDS.....that can take away that pain!!!


Hopefully our actions helped...

No comments: