Wednesday, February 24, 2010

THE GOTHIC WEDDING...part 3



5 years ago, I was asked by my nephew and bride-to-be if I would be interested in helping with decorations at their future wedding, which would be a Gothic one...of course I was interested...;}


But this was also a gift to my sister Buttons. If she had lived we would have done this together...


Welcome to their magical moment...

Somewhere in a Fairy Lit Forest in Coronation, Alberta...

 A very scared looking bride


Sign-in Table/coat check...

The starkness of the white top on the table was later covered with a black lacy panel and the pillar got a burgundy ribbon white a red heart to finish the look. Somehow missed a close-up of the final look shown in the above photo. The birdcage and treasure box [held extra "Wishing Stones"] were from that year's garage sales...:)

I just loved the bride's dress!

The bodice was gorgeous with its fancy bead work but it was the back that amazed me...
 
Hard to believe this was a second hand dress

I loved the hint of a veil! Although I would have liked to seen it black...;}

Here's what our final results were in the forest land...




Doesn't this entrance way look huge! This was one big hall! Happily it's lighting was great in adding the atmosphere we were looking for...kind of on the dark side. Made for crappy photos though...;( Most of the shots have been lightened and are fuzzy. One thing I am is not a great photographer...I guess one can't be great at everything...;)

They wanted an archway for their entrance/exit and one for their nuptials. Not wanting it to be a traditional arched style or white, I had this brilliant idea of using PoD's old green gazebo. So we painted it black [exterior paint] added ivy and more mini lites. This was a lot more sturdier than those cheap white arches. One gazebo made two archways.


Along the sides of the hall, I had these 8' pillars that were wrapped with burgundy velvet ribbons, mini lites and ivy, topped with ivy bushes. There were 4 lining the front only their top was a lamp. I also had 4 pillar lamps for added sparkle. These were supposed to represent trees. The bride was supposed to have gathered bushes together but that never happened and I didn't have time. I had the lights for them just in case she had.

The stark whiteness of the aisle markers matched with the bright whiteness of the ceremonial arch which helped break up all the dark aspect of her Gothic. The red hearts helped.


You probably noticed the bare walls. Rules in this place were very strict...no hanging decor or fastening stuff on walls. That's why the poles...;)

I really wished I had gotten better close-up shots of the tables...they did look good.

I would have really like to seen the bushes but in all I think it looked fairy-ish...



The Wedding Aisle....a sacred path for the bride & groom

I did everything possible to ensure that only the wedding procession went down that aisle! I tied the entrance, I looped barriers between the rows, so there would be no crossing from side to side...only to be ignored? Don't know how many times I had to re-adjust things! I wonder if there had been a floor runner, would they still have walked on it? Guess that's my "old fashioned" sticking out...;}


A very slippery floor!


Just waiting for the ceremony

The extra lighting in the white area was made white by adding my "led" branch lites. They give off a blue/white glow which contrasted nicely with the soft yellowish glow from the mini lites. The curtain was closed for the ceremony...;}
This archway was quite moveable and was later repossioned at a photo op area.

*******************

Final set-up time 10 hours of horribleness!

BIGGEST PROBLEM...MIS-COMMUNICATION!

What should have been an exciting time of joking around, maybe a bit of drinking, having fun decoration...turned out to be a disastrous nightmare!

The weather played a big factor in most of it!

It rained from the moment we got there til the moment we left!

Plans of tenting were washed away in the deluge...so we had to get hotel rooms. Which were another nightmare situation I won't go into other than there being NO RESTAURANT [closed due to staff problems -drug busts] and no outside lighting in the parking lot with NO STREET LIGHTS! We did get a special rate?

It had rained quite a bit before we got there so the ground was soaked, puddles everywhere with decorations that shouldn't get wet, having to be unloaded. We had lots of helpers as tables had to be removed only to be replaced with the long ones which we couldn't find. Seems, lookers were "man looking" because I had to do it myself! That became the general theme. I had to be in many places showing untalented helped how-to-do EVERYTHING? I had to show one guy how to measure and cut the plastic for the tablecloths? I know I shouldn't complain...help is help no matter how unskilled...:) I WAS very thankful for people showing up...:)


HAD FINISHED THIS POST BUT GOT ROBBED...


So you'll have to wait until blog lets me continue...

No comments: