Saturday, December 19, 2009

A MEME...
22 THINGS ABOUT ME ON XMAS ...or something like that


This comes from Blue's Blog "My True Colors" 


I love these types of lists and am always willing to play...but know that there won't be too many short answers...;)




1. What is your favorite Christmas movie/s?
 


Traditional: "A Christmas Carol" ...the first one that is in black & white is my fav but I like all of the new versions because of the message that it gives. As kids we would watch this shown right before we would leave for Xmas Eve at the log cabin. It was kind of a ritual.

Scary: "Black Christmas" both versions not crazy on the gore part.

2. What is your LEAST favorite Christmas movie?
 

It's a toss up between "The Grinch That Stole Christmas" ...I hate anything by Dr. Seuss! and "The Black Christmas" cartoon

3. What is your favorite Christmas Song?


Another toss up..."O Holy Night" & "Little Drummer Boy" sung the original versions by tenors
Do love to rock to the up beat ones!
Soulful: Tunes by Aaron Neville
4. What Christmas song(s) drives you crazy?


Three that drive me nuts...
"Rap Crap"
Pop groups that mess up the old sounds...I don't care if they want to do their way!
Redneck Country

5. What is your favorite Christmas drink?
 
Mott's Clamato Juice...straight up!
Any time of the year...only it's bad [high salt] for me. So I guess you can say that I  SHOULD  only drink it at Xmas...;) Hate eggnog!

6. What is your favorite Christmas memory?

Another toss up...

Old memories:

My family gathering, on my mom's side of the family, at the log cabin [on 109 st & 118 Ave which is now a historical building] Xmas eve. Which ended after my grandmother died...we drifted apart...;(

But as a child who was brought up in a low income lifestyle, it has to be the generosity of my dad's employers, Canada Packers [in Edmonton, AB] at Christmas time. They gave all of their employees a big hamper box full of food. Then hosted two parties. One at their plant which was a supper, movie, sing-a-long and a box of chocolates from Santa. Step mom made sure we didn't get many of the chocolate but when my real mom was alive she would. The other thing the company did was host a movie at the Capital Theater down town and then give out expensive gifts. 14 yrs was the last gift age. That was the only time we kids got to see the richness of the holiday.

New memories:

All of MY family together!

7. What is the best toy/gift you've received on Christmas?

Old memory...
This real pretty red dress my mom made that didn't look like my sisters! She had a tendency to dress us like twins...which we weren't [there was 18 months between us] So something different and in the color I liked was the best. In the 50-60's toys weren't that plentiful. Neither were clothes.

Now...
The looks of happiness on my children and grand children's faces during that day!

8. What is the worst toy/gift you've received on Christmas?

One family gathering at the log cabin, when I was 7, I got a hand knitted [ugly] sweater from an aunt [name draw] who thought I was three sizes smaller when everyone else that night got a toy or something fun. The happy part was I couldn't wear Ugly sweater!

9. What do you LOVE about the holidays?

The crow in me says all the shiny decorations but mostly the good cheer everyone has for each other, including strangers.

10. What annoys you about the holidays?

Two things...

The stress that it brings to those who have no one to share it with...one is made to feel like it's not a good thing to be alone.

The greediness!

11. Do you prefer star or angel on top of a Christmas tree? Or something else?

A Star usually...depends on my theme

12. What is your family favorite recipe at Christmas?

My Exes grand mother's fruit cake. The hardest cake I have ever made...one really needs muscle to stir that cake! But Yummy! Don't dare make it now...too many things in it that are bad for me...;(

13. Are you a Grinch or a Who at Christmas time?

Not sure what a Who is?
Definitely not a Grinch!
Don't like other Grinches either!

14. Christmas light displays - Love them or Hate them?

Love the work that some people put into them especially the one that run in time with the music. Generally hate the ones that have to light every inch of the place. Makes one want to put sun glasses on. I find them tacky.
I prefer simplicity.
I like to see the homes decorated for the daytime hours...not just at night.
I do like looking at theirs knowing that I'm not paying their power bill...;)
My all time favorite has to be the "Candy Cane Lane" in Edmonton...granted I haven't seen that many.
A favorite time is driving around town with the grand kids...maybe one year they will be interested in the lights...;)
PoD has finally joined the spirit this year...made Trebor put them up in the fall...;)


Do wished it was the same light show at Halloween...BIG SIGH!!





15. Santas at the mall - Fun times or Creepy?

Creepy for me now but as a kid he was the greatest!
As an over protective parent/grand parent it makes me wonder about the "might be creepo" lurking in that suit....:0
Great job for the good ones! Sad to say whether its wise now a days to let your kid sit on the lap of a stranger, talk to him then take a candy/present from him?

16. Christmas cards - do you send them, yes or no?

Depends on my mood. Don't normally receive many [probably cus I don't send] and the ones I cherish the most were from Buttons. Also depends on the finances. I prefer email.

17. What is the best thing about Christmas, in your opinion?

This is one time in the year that people make a point to be nice to each other!

And Santa comes to town...;)

18. What is the worst thing about Christmas?

The HUMBUGS...joy should be in the giving! It's not hard to offer a smile even if you can't manage to utter a joyful sound!

19. When do you put the tree up and take it down?

Put up:
Right after Remembrance Day...now that I have no one to tell me otherwise. The Ex stressed not before Dec. 12th!

Take down:
Right after Ukrainian Xmas [Jan 7]...in honor of my friends & family in-laws.


Everyone knows that's when Valentines show up...;)


20. Out of the 12 days of Christmas, which day and item would you want your truelove to give to you?

If I HAD a true love he would know that I need all the help that I can get...I'll take the maids! They don't need to be "a milking".
But then he would probably LIKE that idea, so I'll take the five golden rings...
for just in case he strays...;)

21. What is your favorite smell at Christmas time?

Xmas dinner! Hate the turkey but love the smell. Next are mincemeat or pumpkin pie aromas

Hate the cinamon pine cones that they sell in the stores! The ones they throw in the fireplace for that nice aroma...makes me gag!


22. What would make you happy at Christmas this year?

Two things:

Just being with my family and know that they are all safe and sound!
That would be the best present for me...


And wishing that there could be peace on earth that could last for more than just one day!



So now you know all my important Xmas facts...;)



How about YOURS!

3 comments:

Roan said...

That was fun! Your favorite is my least favorite movie, but I agree with the message it sends...I've just seen it too many times.!

Roan said...

I'm behind on reading. I'll stop by again to catch up. In the meantime, have a wonderful Christmas and all the best in the new year.
BJ

velvis said...

WISHING YOU A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN 2010.

LOVE
VELVIS