Thursday, November 12, 2009

POTATOES?


I thought I knew a lot about potatoes and have formed an opinion about what I like and didn't like about some of them.


What surprised me was... there are lots of different types out there that I don't know about?


Growing up, my world was small in what we saw in potato types...we grew the white variety only. I remember my surprise when I first saw and tasted the red ones.


My favorite is the white potato with the light yellow skin, especially the baby ones. I love them boiled with a little butter [Becel] with an added touch of garlic & Mrs. Dash table spice...yummy. Leftovers are fried later. Don't need meat or anything else...just them.


Baked potatoes [Russets] are too dry and have to be drowned in sour cream/butter/spices but are a must with steak!


Love the red ones for potato salad [must be peeled] and boiled like the white ones. I don't care for the skin...even though it's supposed to be good for you.


Hate the yams or sweet potato! Doesn't matter how it's cooked...besides don't need extra sugar...;) They remind me too much on how I hate turnips! I kind of lump those two together in taste & texture.


Last summer was the first time I tasted the golden or yellow ones...I kid you not!


They kind of looked like the white variety and I was fooled [actually didn't look closely] by their similarity. Found out I was not too crazy about their taste and the yellow color reminded me of a turnip, so the visual part was hard to get by.


I guess I'm kind of a visual & texture type of person?


Small town grocers tend to carry the usual types I like and as I seldom get to an area that does have different varieties I don't get to see what's now out there...





Like this...





Purple Potatoes?



 PoD had picked some up and wanted to see how they were...



They are supposed to be cooked like the regular types.


She brought one over and I got to taste it raw...tasted sort of the same as a regular potato, maybe a little nutty side



My turn off was the color!



I love the color purple...but not in my potatoes!


This old dog doesn't like learning new things...I'm happy with what I know!



Boring as that may be!


PoD wasn't too crazy about them either.



This potato variety is supposed to be blight free and is a favorite of the organic community...as for the price, I don't know?


They won't be going on my table any time soon!



Can you imagine purple mashed potatoes with brown gravy....;(



 And I thought purple ketchup was bad enough...




Can you imagine fried purple potatoes with red or purple ketchup...?

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Do you get red potatoes over there?

We have red pots called Desiree, they have a red skin, and beautiful yellow flesh. Delicious!

The best ones though for baking we have here are called King Edwards, they are just divine.

I am growing potatoes next year in my newly acquired allotment, and I, like you, have been surprised how many varieties there are.

I am hungry now!