Sunday, September 09, 2007

RENOVATIONS 2007

Are now fully underway!

Saturday Trebor dropped by and resumed the interior demolition that PoD and I started the other day.

We had both given up what we had been doing, as the removal of the rotten interior started to effect both of our sinuses and the grossness of it falling on our heads was too much to bear! Trebor doesn't seem to mind the gross stuff and when I showed up to help him, he looked like he was having lots of fun tearing it away!

The old shop upstairs walls had been built out of lath boards, cement and gyproc! We are removing only the rotten stuff which seems to have started way before I bought the place because some of it looks quite old! The most disconcerting part of it is the rot in the roof. I wished there had been some way we could have fixed it on the outside before roofing it but with the rain threatening it had to be covered! I am still running that construction through my brain to come up with an easy way to fix it?

I have never taken any architectural training in building anything but even I can see poor designing! We have exposed quite a bit of the inner roof supports and I am having a hard time finding any main support beams that should be holding up the roof?

Way back when, the history on this place has always been a little vague! What I have figured through living there and some old photos, this upper part must have been sectioned off and used as a rooming house! Trebor and I unearthed an old chimney pipe system and the floor boards show old doorways! It has been quite an experience! We still have the ceiling in the kitchen/dining room to pull down before I can assess the total damage of the roof and where I have to replace/shore up any main beams! But what I have seen so far this problem was caused by whom ever restored the upper floors and their lack of understand main support systems!

The more we remove the more I shake my head!

One thing I do know is....by the time I am finished with this place...nothing will knock it down!
The above photos are of the "Indoor Dodge Falls" and my old bedroom...this is what it looks like now. All I had to do was tell Trebor what I wanted done and he made quick work of the whole area. We had decided to open up the dining room and make a quicker access to the washroom/ laundry area. It sure looks bigger now that the walls are gone and who knew that the chimney would be in such great shape...one might think of keeping it exposed?

2 comments:

Headgirl said...

Sorry, but I've got another tag challange for you! It's an adult one, not x-rated, just human oriantated! Its all about movies!

Hope renovations are going to plan!
What about play practice? I suspected you'd be set person as well as actress. Well, who else could do the former???

Best wishes
Blue
x

Anonymous said...

Hey Blue
Things are pretty hectic here...I think I've bitten off more than I can chew!
I though that if was acting I would get out of doing other stuff...I was wrong! Seems I was still slated to do the Stage Manager's job...which is ok with me but they figured I'd be doing the set & design. That's what I'm having trouble with! Can't seem to renovate building and think of set at same time...I'm now losing sleep...so something has got to go? I think they seriously need to find someone else to do the build! I guess super woman has left the building!
I would love to do the tag challenge!
Hope your staying well!
QoH