Monday, November 13, 2006

Yeah!!!!

It's finally over!

No I'm not talking about Halloween...or the haunt...it's my other volunteer work that I do that finishes out the year.

One-Act Festival!

During the haunt time PoD and I were also involved with community theater. She was acting/back stage helper and I was set designer/builder/stage manager/prompter. This play was written by 3 of our troup and so it was more important to all of us to see that it succeeded!

This year it was being held in Slow Stream, Nov. 10-12.

I was really looking forward to the time there as the hotel/motel has a pool and hot tub!

I took full advantage of any time that I had to spend time in that tub!

PoD and I motored down to Slow Stream with Wilma in her "Rocket" vehicle.

Wilma really knows how to "Rocket" around in that thing and the haunt frights don't compare to the ride through "Slow Stream" to get to the plays in time!

Generally, the first ride to the place where the performances are being held, I keep my eyes open to make sure that I know how to get back...as I am usually the designated driver!

Not this time! If we were going to crash I didn't want to see it coming!

Being late wasn't a fault of ours as we were promised a shuttle bus from the hotel to the performances! As usual it was the excuse of they thought someone was handling it and it wasn't. That happened a lot that weekend!

We got there in plenty of time and we saw some good and bad plays! I judge plays by whether I stay awake or not! I did some dozing this weekend!

All of these festivals had themes and this years was "Hats of to the Theater". After the performances they have a green room, that is also open to the public to attend, where all the performers/crews relax and have fun. This is the part I like the most...because we usually dance and I LOVE dancing! In this green room every night it has a theme. Thursday...cowpoke hat, Friday...fancy hat and Saturday...crazy hat.

I'm not too crazy about western wear and my cowboy hat had a hatband consisting of purple and black feather boas with the tails extending down my back...just had to make it not look too much like a cowboy hat! Saturday I gussied up a black top hat with a red bead shawl and same feather boas. Sunday was a crazy cap hat with a stuffed spider on top...this of course was sitting on the purple boa with tails. It was really wild to see all of the creations! Of the crazy hats I liked all of the blinking ones!

Pod and I were fortunate to get some shopping/swimming time in where as poor Wilma still had to spend some boring time with meetings [subbed for our groups rep] and had to miss out again on relax or fun time!

Not fair to Wilma...she is definitely tired of organizing our troup!

I am an Indian and not a "Chief"...so I will not be putting my hand up for that position. So seeing as no one else is...this group might end! Sorry to see that happen but OTHERS have to step up to the plate and be counted!

I worried a lot about the tree that I had made for this play and hoped that it would still be okay after the exposure to the elements while it waited for play time. It was fine! A little on the soft side but not too bad...it still stood! A few broken branches but other wise it was okay!

Our rehearsal went well and we we set!

PoD said that she wasn't nervous and that was great as I would be up chucking by now! As it was I was the nervous one!

The haunt took a lot of my mental time and the brain was tired! I spent a vast amount of time worrying that I wasn't quite prepared! Thanks to "Funny Guy" [Betty's hubby], who should have had the title Stage Manager instead of me, all of props were where they belonged! Thanks GUY! Your the greatest!

Final Results:

Honorable Mention for Stage Production [stage manager, set design/layout, lights, sound, costume/make-up]
Honorable Mention for Director
Honorable Mention for Best Actor [Funny Guy]
Runner Up [2nd] for Best Play

I say we did GOOD!

The weather was okay although the wind was quite nippy at times while we were there. The highway that runs past the hotel had an accident on it Friday morning. PoD and I had just missed seeing happen. It made me worry about the others from our group that had yet to come. All was well!

Trip home was un eventful!

GOOD TO BE HOME!

Orbing out QoH

No comments: