Friday, October 01, 2010

DECORATING?


Why do I do it because it causes me sooooooooo much grief when I do!




So why am I so obsessed with it?


Why do I keep on doing it?


It's not for the glory....cause I don't get a lot of it [at least not to my face]




I do it because I love a challenge!


It's something I do to myself to prove that I still got the brain power to pull it off! I know it sounds so egotistical but I don't feel it's that way with me at all! I love the fact that others love what I do, but it really IS just a testing of my abilities and whether I still got it or not!




Why do I LIKE to do it....?



I believe that everything we do outside of our comfort zones [home] should be an adventure of the senses!


We go to the department stores and they try to give you a different atmosphere with their seasonal decor. It gets you in the mood to buy that visual item. Every vendor's place is the same way. So why not everywhere else in your life!




I feel when atmosphere is added to special occasions, it helps to change the mood of the attendees and invites them to let go of the norm. Sort of gets them into the mood! This can happen from the largest event to the smallest house party.




I am always disappointed when I go into someone's home for one of these "rope-in-sales-things" and there is no atmosphere to get one in the mood....but kind of happy too because I am able to go home with minimal spendage! These women should try a more cozier touch if they want to rack in the sales. One doesn't have to go nutty with the decor...most household stuff can be made over with hardly any effort. Throw in mood lighting with delicious cooking smells lightly lingering would work wonders in my mind. Even the slightest effort is better than none...I want to be entertained visually when I go out!




Last years symposium did nothing to get me in the mood to buy or even want to visit a psychic/medium. It was just another sales venue in my mind. So I had suggested some changes. Cover the walls with something or at least get the vendors to spruce up their images and try to make everything more mystic looking.




They agreed and were willing to try!


Here's how it went...

This the large area we had to contend with....there was more room behind me too.


The place is rented with wedding decor always being present and it wasn't meant to be with this theme but we worked it in somehow and it didn't distract too much.


The first night they set up the tables to figure out the flow of the sales floor. I would have rather we had put up the stuff on the walls first but was too tired from the excitement of the drive there to be forceful with that idea. They learn t that the next day...;} It's not fun to work around tables and chairs in the way!


The organizer of the event had purchased 2 huge rolls of 10' high plastic that had stars on it. 1 blue and 1 black. They had planned to secure it with duct tape.

Firstly, all "duct tape" are NOT created equally!

Cheap stuff does not stick for very long....less when warm! 


It was cool enough outside that there wasn't going to be any use of the air conditioner inside, so they covered over the fresh air vents. We forgot about the fact of lots of bodies together in small space will create LOTS of heat build up!




But the overall effect was worth the stress of how it would do....

The above photo is the area that was behind me in the first photo. There was a stage that they had slated for the coffee and coloring area. We didn't cover the walls in that area...mostly because we ran out of stuff to cover it with...so we front dropped it instead with arches of light. There is a sign about the event but was too dark to read. The printing on those signs sucked big time and were rip offs to the customer. I wouldn't have sold them to them...but that's me.



We had our problems with the wind in the entrance way! With covering the vents it got really hot...so we had to open the doors once in awhile to give customers and the vendors a fresh air break! It was fresh alright! We are talking near gale force winds! It blew the hell out of our entrance way. It was a big orange pumpkin arch covered in ivy vines and mini lights. By mid day it was all apart...guess the cheap duct tape didn't like the cold either!

The walls did start to come down...


Nothing anyone could do about them until the next day


It wasn't all decorating...we did do some sight seeing! Last time we were here we couldn't find the beach area...we got lucky this time. We found it by accident!




But man was it windy! The pic below shows how much it affect the water and the dock...there was no way one could even stand on the dock, it was lifting up with the waves too much to be safe! Even the seagulls had trouble with the wind! They kept us entertained for quite awhile! We had some old sandwiches/junk food to get rid of and they were quite happily to fight the wind and each other for them.


They thanked us by poop bombing us while they did it...;{



We also came across this creepy thing too...


The size of it alone is what caught my attention the most and the wonderment of what it might be? I knew it had to do with spiders so I didn't get too close but even at this distance was too close for me...


Never really did get close enough to see clearly what it was that the spider [s?] did wrap up but I figured it to be a bunch of wasps nests? Creeped out I stepped back quickly and as I did I looked down to see this right beside my foot...


I believe this is a tunnel spider nest!






Happily no spider came out of it....






But I did think of where it might be......?








See, it's decorating suck me into coming closer......










The decorating of the symposium turned out to be quite a hit with the vendor's sales and how many that visited the psychics/mediums. They made money this year!




So I guess I was right after all!





This part is the ego talking....;}

No comments: